MY VISION, MISSION AND GOALS


      A seven-year-old girl was sitting around her home’s porch on a cold December evening when she saw her neighbor arriving in a black SUV. Her neighbor was a renowned doctor of her province—-well respected, wealthy, and loved by everyone and from the little girl’s perspective, the doctor’s life was perfect and she told herself she would one day become a doctor and live the wealthy and perfect life. The little girl has grown into a fine woman and has enrolled in a respected medical school in the Queen City of the South. The dream of one day becoming a renowned doctor is still on track however, the perspective of the reason of becoming one has changed. 
When I was still a Medical Technology student, we had a subject in which we went to poor areas of Cebu City to evaluate the health of the people living there. I interviewed some of the locals living within the vicinity, and there was this one old lady who said she was 65 and looked like she was suffering from something and I told her to see a doctor and she laughed at me telling me that alternative medicines like “hilot” could fix her problem. I could not force the old lady to see a doctor and I thought to myself maybe because they were deprived financially.
With this experience, I came to realize that the seven-year-old girl sitting on her porch on a cold December evening was wrong. Yes, the doctor did have a good life, but the doctor did not see her career as to something that she would take advantage of and being a doctor is not that easy. Doctors are not born, doctors are not made overnight, but doctors are made with experiences and with tons of failure. I realized that my dream of becoming a doctor is still there but this time, my aim is to help people, to save people’s lives, to heed the 3am call when a patient needs me. With CDUCM’s vision and mission, I am confident that I will be a competent and compassionate doctor who treats the CEO, the janitor, and anyone with upmost respect. Being a doctor means saving people’s lives and hoping that they give the patient a better tomorrow.
I chose CDUCM because they produce world class doctors, I’m still in my first year but I’ll study all night, dedicate myself in studying, I will fulfill the seven-year-old girl’s dream, I’ll work hard and I’ll pray hard.
Writing this reflection paper has made me realize that the fire in me is still burning. It made me realize that I have this insatiable thirst for knowledge of medicine in hopes that I may save someone’s life one day. I’ll be there not tomorrow, not next week, not next month, not next year, but someday. I’ll save someone and pray that I’ll do good because now I believe being a doctor is not about the social status, the fancy cars, the luxury of life, it’s about being God’s little tool to save His creations. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY IDOL PHYSICIAN-RESEARCHER